Who Is Liable If the Landlord Damages Your Property?

The agents of Idaho Select Insurance have years of experience when it comes to renters policies and other types of property insurance. Residents who live in the Meridian, ID area need to understand what their policies cover and who is liable for certain types of damages if they occur. In some cases, the landlord may be ultimately responsible if items are broken inside the apartment.

Renter’s Insurance

Your renter’s insurance is written to cover your possessions if they are damaged and destroyed by fire or other means. In most cases, your policy will cover a wide variety of damages, including broken items or things that need to be repaired. It also carries some degree of liability protection in case someone is injured while visiting your apartment. This includes the landlord if the injury was caused by something that you could have possibly prevented.

Commercial Insurance

On the other hand, if the landlord enters your apartment to perform an inspection or to make repairs to the plumbing or an appliance and is injured in the process, their commercial insurance will cover the costs. Their insurance will also be responsible if they are in your apartment and they break something of value. It will be up to you to make sure a claim is filed in a timely fashion in case a deadline needs to be met.

At Idaho Select Insurance, the agents can answer questions concerning many different types of insurance policies. If you live in the Meridian, ID area and are curious about what your renter’s insurance covers, call and schedule an appointment with your agent today!